The Torch of Gold is a council award given annually to an adult Scouter for dedicated work for youth, particularly Scouts, with disabilities. It is not an award that is earned by simply fulfilling specific requirements. It is given in recognition for service in multiple areas for many years. The nominee should show a level of dedication and service comparable to a Scouter receiving the Silver Beaver Award, but for service specifically in the area of working with Scouts with disabilities.
A Scouter must be recommended to his or her council by another individual. Although there are specific criteria for this award, each council should have its own selection procedure. The nomination form can be found at scouting.org/filestore/pdf/512-495.pdf
The criteria are:
- Each council may recognize one Scouter per year with the Torch of Gold Award.
- The completed nomination form must be submitted to the council Special Needs or Disabilities Awareness committee or its designee, according to council procedures and deadline.
- The nominee shall:
- Be currently registered with the Boy Scouts of America.
- Have at least three or more years of service in any Scouting leadership capacity related to Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers with disabilities, including educating other Scouters about disabilities and working with youth who have disabilities.
- Have completed all activities related to Scouts with disabilities on a strictly volunteer basis.
- This award shall be given only once to an individual, and is not dependent on, or to be influenced by, other awards.
- Presentation should be made at the council annual recognition dinner, district recognition dinner, or other appropriate Scouting event.
- The Scout executive must approve the recipient.
The Torch of Gold recipient may receive a certificate (item #33733), a medal with neck ribbon (item #645077), and a lapel pin (item #645078).
After selecting a Torch of Gold recipient, the council should consider nominating their recipient for the national Woods Services Award. The Woods Services deadline is December 31.